Monday 26 October 2015

Oct 25th Santiago de Compostella

Day 72    14.3 miles    Total 951

Oh god ! it's the last leg into Santiago,it's the journey not the destination, that's so true. I fear it's going to be an anti-climax.
After my 1st coffee break I fall in behind a pair of American twats babbling back and forth 'holy Mary mother of god . . . .' I should have let them go on ahead, but no I very slowly pass them and it takes ages to get away from them. A while later I see Mary (is she mother of god ?), and have a good moan about the twats and she tells me she's into that stuff as she was brought up a catholic, oops !
22km to Santiago and it drags on a bit. At Monte do Gozo whilst having a coffee Mary arrives. I apologise for being offensive earlier, but she's cool about it. We walk into Santiago together and the place she's booked into is full, so I eventually find an old hostal with a double room for€30.
Then it's off to explore and get my pilgrims certificate. Near the cathedral a shout from Paul and Peggy who are so delighted to see me Peggy's in tears. After a beer together and getting my certificate from the pilgrims office, I wait and wander looking for Anne who I said I'd meet at 5pm. I don't see her and wander off and buy some roasted chestnuts and eat them on a bench.
I've seen loads of people I've met on the way today.
I decide to go for a beer and tapas, eventually diving into a likely looking bar, I sit down and just finish my1st tapas and look up, and who's talking to a waiter - Anne. She was sat back to back with me !
After lots of hugs I join her and her friend. She'd waited and wandered around by the cathedral looking for me for over an hour.
Her friend left to find her husband, and we were joined by a French-Canadian couple I knew, then a big Aussie guy and a Japanese woman. It was quite a celebration. Anne was so drunk that me and the Japanese woman had to get her to her hotel and into her room.

No comments: