Tuesday 20 October 2015

Oct 18th Ruitelan

Day 65    13 miles   Total 844.5

There are 3 routes from Villafranca, 2 high level routes and a road walk. With rain forcast for the afternoon, I took the shorter high level route, 8 miles.
A very steep ascent straight out of the town, levelled off after a 1000'.
The 1st mile or 2 was through burnt trees and scrub, the smell of it still in the air, but already green shoots were appearing at the base of burn shrubs.
The burnt area gave way to cultivated Chestnut woodland. Lots of people filling sacks with chestnuts.
A steep descent brought me back to the roadwalk.
My heels were not happy on the hard surface and I booked into the albergue Potala at Ruitelan at 2pm.
After an afternoon in the bar opposite, I had the communal meal at the albergue.
Each time I woke during the night I could hear the rain on the slates above me, it was very cosy

No comments: