Friday 16 October 2015

Oct. 15th El Acebo

Day 62   18 miles   Total 805.5

The sky was just getting light in the east when I left Sta Catalina. The walk continued on a gravel track parallel with the road. It was very cold and there was frost. I stopped for coffee and to warm up at El ganzo. My wet socks that were hanging off my pack to dry had frozen.
After the village of Rabinal del Camino, the path started rising and suddenly after so long with not much energy, I was energised.
Good bye meseta and f-ing boring walking.
People say the meseta is very interesting or it is the spiritual section of the walk. Bullshit, to help them get through a crap section of the Camino.
I was so happy to be going uphill. I stopped at a medieval bar in Foncebon for a quick coffeeand carried on to the abandoned village of Manjarin.
I'd thought to spend the night here as the very basic albergue was run by a character called Thomas the Templar. He even dresses as a Knight Templar.
The place was filthy with dogs and cats everywhere, it was early and I was energised, so I carried on.
At over 5100' I reached the highest point on the camino, with views of Ponferrada in the valley beyond.
A descent of over 1300' brought me to El Acebo. I read in my guide of an albergue in a new hotel on the edge of the village that was only €3 more a night than the one's in the village. Reckoning it wouldn't be so crowded I booked in. It's really smart and upmarket.
Wonderful views, more staff than guests and I had an 8 bed dorm. to myself.

No comments: