Monday 5 October 2015

4th October Villarmentero de Campo

Day 52   10miles   Total 686

I had a pleasant nights sleep on the floor in the lounge area of the albergue, yet felt tired in the morning. The 1st person left at 5.30am., and it doesn't get light until 8am ?
I decided to only walk a short distance. It was gently raining as I walked beside the canal to Fromista. I got talking with a woman from Teignmouth who was also wearing a rain skirt, mine I call a kilt. Mary wants to get into ultralight backpacking, so there was a lot of talk about gear.
Whilst in a bar on coffee break, the rain came down harder for a while. There was a roadside walk to the next village, and I veered off to walk a very seldom used path beside the river. The wind was picking up across the flat landscape. I was glad the riverside route was protected by trees.
On the last stretch a man  stopped  his van, got out and cracked open the largest, sweetest almonds I've tasted. Such a lovely gesture, he chatted away about how good it was to be walking the camino. I understood about 1 word in 10.
The Albergue I stopped at was wacky to say the least. Geese and chickens wandering about amongst a tipi, cheap tents, and sheds that were for hire. I decided to sleep in one of the tents. The tipi was more money than the albergue to sleep in.
As the wind got up to gale force several of the tents collapsed and I moved into the albergue.
The wind force was crazy, it would have been hard walking in it.
By late afternoon the Dutch hospitalero (manager) had returned from Holland. The locals put on a celebration for his return, with Cava, hubby bubbly pipe, and adults only cake.
It was funny to watch with an Austrian woman, who works in airport security.

No comments: