Wednesday 14 October 2015

Oct. 13th Villares de Orbigo

  Day 60   16.5 miles   Total 773

The day started cold and clear, lovely after 2 cloudy wet days.
The path was parallel to the main road between Leon and Astorga, lots of traffic.
I was delighted to see an end of the Meseta ahead. Today though I walked through the Paramo, bleak plateau. It would have been in last weeks winds. I had to use my brolly during the afternoon as the sun was so strong.
Villages and coffee stops every few miles, along with walking slowly made for an enjoyable walk. I was passed by many people. This cold is hanging on.
Some people who passed me must have started their Camino in Leon, or needed to get to their finish point, they walked with a sense of urgency and looked prime candidates for blisters or injuries.
Even strolling along I arrived at Villares de Obrigo by 3pm.
The albergue is owned by a woman from Belgium, surrounding a central courtyard and beautifully restored.
There was only 4 of us staying here, a couple from Finland, and a guy from Brazil. We each had our own small dormitory. There was a communal meal that was superb.
I slept on the sofa on the upstairs veranda, my perfect place to sleep. I have fond memories of sleeping on veranda's in India and Nepal.
This albergue is the best place that I've stayed, so far.

No comments: