Thursday 22 October 2015

Oct 21st Morgade

Day 68   16.6 miles   Total 885.1

After a roadside walk for a couple of miles from Samos I took a quiet alternative route to Sarria. It was longer but so lovely. I only saw 2 people, Nicholas a 77 year old American who is curious about everything, and Betsy. Betsy was almost in tears with happiness when I met her, stood admiring an old chestnut tree. She was blissed out, bless her !
Sarria is a big starting point for many pilgrims as they can get their certificate at Sangiago for walking the minimum distance of 100km.
I walked straight through and stopped for coffee at a bar at the next village.
I reached the lovely albergue at Morgade. Whilst talking to Ashlee, an American woman with shin splints, Mary (Teignmouth) arrived, it had been a while since I'd seen her.
A communal meal followed with 20 people from 8 countries. It's what I enjoy about the camino, especially as the common language in these circumstances is English !

No comments: