Saturday 3 October 2015

2nd Oct. Hontanas

Day 50   20 miles   Total 657

Having to be in the albergue by 10 was a bit of a drag. Burgos was just coming alive. Right through until after 4am. revellers could be heard in the streets. In the morning the debris from drinking was everywhere around the cathedral. I had a coffee in a bar and was told it was like this every night of the week !
Once clear of the suburbs it was flat until after the 1st village, where I met Paul and Peggy. We walked together through undulating countryside that gradually rose, before dropping to a valley and the village where they were staying.
I carried on gradually ascending to the meseta, table land, a plateau that is the main feature for the next week. There are descents into valleys and up again.
At the last minute Hontanas appeared. As I dropped into the village, I stopped and chatted with a French guy who was camped with his dog. He has a push chair to carry his gear, and the dog when she's tired.
I stopped at the 1st albergue for a beer and to read about the accomadation. I looked around and decided to stay. It was new, purpose built to a high standard and only €7. I had the communal meal which was an excellent paella with unlimited wine. Needless to say a very good evening followed

No comments: