Tuesday 29 September 2015

Sept. 28th Grañon

Day 46   14miles    Total 596

I was one of the last to leave the hostel, most people leave before dawn. Either to avoid the heat of the afternoon or to make sure of a bed for the night.
The vineyards gradually gave way to ploughed fields and big landscapes.
At the 1st village I met up with The American couple, The Irish women and Christina, from the previous evening's party. I walked with them to Santa Domingo de la Calzada.
We visited the cathedral, but after a quick look around I set off again.
I read good reviews of the Donativo's in Grañon, so I went to the smaller of the 2. It was very basic, yet fine for me.
I met up with 3 other people I'd met on and off over the past week. Then whilst outdide the bar chatted with the Irish women, Sue and Theresa. They liked the sound of the Donativo's and went to the other one, mine was now full.
The other was in the roof of the church annex and people had exercise mats to sleep on. The other Donativo's donation box was open so that pilgrims, if they needed money could take instead of give !
Dinner was a shared meal at both places at 8pm. Shortly before 8 everyone was asked to go out into the street, where we met up with the people from the other Donativo. We had to sing for our supper, Spanish 1st, then Italians, English and Koreans.
Fortunately English speakers, though I met a guy from New Milton. It was great, as everyone was initially embarassed or hesitant, particularly the 5 Koreans.
The shared meals are really enjoyable
I got talking with an American couple who were delighted that I had a Zpacks backpack as well, as they did

No comments: