Saturday 26 September 2015

Sept 26th. Navarette

Day 44    22miles    Total 268.5

Today is the Rioja Fiesta in Logrono, everwhere is booked, so I set off in the dark at 7am. A fiery sunrise with mountains silhouetted !  (spelling ?).
Up and down through vineyards, passing through Viana, for a coffee stop, and arriving in Logrono before midday and over 13 miles walked.
There was music blasting out for the fiesta everywhere, and crowds of people. After watching people in the main square over 2 coffees and a spinach empanada (pasty) for an hour, I headed out of the  city for Naverette.
At the end of a large lake I met up with 2 women from the Czech Republic who I'd 1st met last saturday. Whilst chatting a Spanish woman gave each of us a bunch of sun-warmed grapes, tiny very sweet grapes. These gave us a boost for the ascent to Naverrete. Accomadation was mostly fully booked, yet I got into a hostel run by French volunteers. I'm amazed how well I can communicate in French now.
I spent an interesting evening with a Korean looking Russian woman who lives in Guildford !!

No comments: