Saturday 19 September 2015

Sept 18th Larceveau

Day 34   14 miles    total 442

After the 1st few miles the countryside was definately the foothills of the Pyrenees. Plenty of off road walking.
At one point I took a variant of the route, marked and signposted to the village of Uhart-Mixte. ETA sprayed on a wall and place names put this very much in Basque country.
By lunchtime I was in Ostabat-Esme, where I hoped to camp.
No luck at the 1st two gites. I met Nina at a restaurant, who was despondant that she was booked into a gite but sleeping on a mattress on the outside landing. It sounded ideal to me.
After coffee and a filled baguette along came Mikele and some other French. They'd stopped to look at churches along the way.
I had no luck at other gites along the way. At Larcevau I stopped at an hotel for a beer. It was too early to stealth camp. Donny a french guy turned up, and sharing a room was cheaper than the gites along the way today. Sorted !

No comments: