Friday 11 September 2015

Sept. 10th Condom

Day 21    15.6 miles    Total 304.6

The night was cloudy and very warm. I woke to the sound of gentle rain on the leaves above me. Fortunatly the rain wasn't so heavy as to drip through before I'd pack my backpack.
Mikele was already packed and we walked into the town centre together, where I stopped for an almond croissant. I didn't screw my water container on properly, and it leaked out inside my pack. Luckily my spare clothes and sleeping bag are stashed in a binbag for just such events !
  Mikele was going to go to Condom 33 miles on today. As I was leaving Lectoure ,(in the rain), a road sign said 22km for Condom. After checking my mapping, I worked out a route that was only main road for a few miles. The traffic was light and I soon was on a parallel road to the main road, that just happened to be the GR65.
The rain stopped as I reached a village for a break. I am so glad to have my brolly, the handle thcks under the cheststrap of my backpack, and I can walk, protected from the rain, not bundled in sweaty waterproofs, and with my hands free for using my walking poles.
Not long after leaving the village the sun was so strong that it was up with my beloved brolly again.
Where the route was on farm tracks, I picked up a lot of sticky soil on the soles of my shoes, boring.
I reached Condom over an hour ahead of Mikele, who was very suprised to see me already there.
We camped by the river with a very nice Swiss cyclist. It was great for the conversation to be in English, as he didn't speak much French either.

No comments: