Monday 29 June 2015

29th June. Gedre

The start of today's walk was a drive from Gavarnie up to the Vallee d'Ossoue. The road passed the debris of 2 huge avalanches with lots of snow still there. The last 4km of driving was on a very rough track along the valley.
The walk was south towards the Col de Bernatoire, and started with a steep climb. Although it was before 9a.m. I could feel the sun burning my skin through my t-shirt. Another spectacular taster of a walk, to really experience these mountains I need to be backpacking. My walk took me past the Cabine de Lourdes, which, though basic would make a good place to stay the night in bad weather. It's on the GR10. From here the valley narrowed and I carried on until the path steepened for the push to the Col.
On the drive up the valley I daw several marmots close up. I continued seeing them throughout the walk, dozens and dozens of them. Until today I've only seen them scuttling off or in the distance.
Being unfit still and so hot I tetraced my steps to the Cabine and followed the the GR10 to the Lac d'Ossue and down the track to the car.
I had my closest sitting of a vulture, and it was sat on rocks on the horizon 100m distant.
The patternof my days in this heat is walk in the morning and chiĺl out during the afternoon. I'm  camped under a Lime tree thats in flower. Lime tree blossom is a relaxing tea to drink, so being under the tree is definately a good place to be.

No comments: