Saturday 13 June 2015

12th June. near Dro, Italy

Awoke to blue skies, and with the forecast for rain I decided to head for Italy.
An absolutely spectacular drive. Up to the Grimselpass and down to and along the Goms valley. I just had to stop to walk across a suspension bridge over the Rotten Rhone river. Then it was up and over the Simplon Pass to descend into Italy, and rain !
Italy impressed me immediately. Poor road surfaces, abandoned seeming roadworks, and general tattiness. Such a contrast to Swiss perfection.
I decided to head east to try and avoid the rain, as the forecast was better there.
So it was autostrada for a few hours, passing Milan and busy  all the way to turn off for Lake Garda.
I had no knowledge of Lake Garda. It's one huge resort, along with theme parks and hundreds of hotels and campsites along the lakes edge for miles and miles. Not my sort of place at all !
I drove north and pulled off to a tiny campsite set amongst vineyards at the base of huge near vertical limestone cliffs.
most of the campers are either climbers or base jumpers according to Paulo the owner's son, who gave me glasses of the wine he makes. The white was very palatable in the heat. 30°
I'd no sooner got set up and had my dinner than a thunderstorm started, with torrential rain. So much for driving away from rain !

No comments: