Friday 19 June 2015

17th June. Sospel.

I drove up up up to the Col du Turini and when I went for a walk around I was dive-bombed by Dusky Crag Martins. I think it was the sunglasses pushed up on my head, as a cyclist who arrived after was ignored by them.
There's a ski lift here and it's only 25miles from Nice.
I went on the Circuit de l'Authion, one way traffic as it's a narrow road. The highest point was crowned by a redoute, a tiny castle like fortification, complete with a moat.
Walking up to it I was short of breath, a combination of altitude, 6992', and inactivity. I was cuffed to see Alpine Choughs flying nearby.
It was scarred by shell hits, WW2 ?
The descents and ascents on the circular return to Sospel meant dozens of hairpin bends. Small wonder so many bikers are touring in the mountains.

No comments: