Monday 15 June 2015

14th June. Camping Paolino, Dru

I headed off for the Dolomites mountains, a UNESCO world heritage site.
My route took me through Trento, Belluno, and Cortina, with Santa Cristina as a destination.
On the road to Belluno the skies darkened and it rained so heavily that I pulled into a layby until it eased off. The rain continued in showers until Cortina. Rain and low cloud meant limited views of the mountains !
The views I did get were absolutely stunning. The Dolomites are limestone and the shapes are very different to the granite of the Alps.
The car is not happy on uphill hairpin bends, drive-shafts possibly. I just have to take them slowly. There are lots of hairpin bends on the ascents in these mountains. (There are a lot of tinnels in Switzerland and Italy too).  Three passes were over 7500'.
On the journey to Santa Cristina there were no campsites. The area is geared to winter sports and there are plenty of hotels. There is not much land suitable for camping either.
I decided to drop to a lower elevation to find a campsite, the valleys broadened out at Bolzano, but then it became industry and vineyards. I drove towards Trento in pouring rain and still no campsites, so decided to return to camping Paulino.

No comments: