Wednesday 17 June 2015

16th June. Sospel

During the night, when I went for a pee, I was entertained by fireflys winking on and off like tiny flashing lights.
1st stop of the day was the tourist office. I drove as directed and parked the car under an overhanging rockface in the shadeand set off on a walk along the gorge of the river Bevere towards the village of Olivetta. (Which is in Italy).
It's a very lovely landscape and so lush after the mediterranean coast, which is only a few miles away. The fact is that it's 2000' higher and gets alot more rain here.
It was a hard way of life here when people terraced the steep hillsides to exist. One farm I could see below which had fields besides the river and a mule in the yard. There was no sign of any machinery, though electricity was supplied, yet the only access was a steep path down from the one I was following and across a plank footbridge. (photo).
There were plenty of tempting swimming spots. After a couple of miles my foot was feeling the terrain, so reluctantly I returned to the car. I don't want to overdo it yet.
I stopped off in Sospel for a coffee at a bar by the river and  just enjoyed people-watching in the sun.

No comments: