Thursday 2 July 2015

30th June. Torla, Spain

With temperatures of 39 forcast and slightly cooler in Spain, I left Gedre early with the possibility of going over the Pyrenees.
I drove to Cauterets to check it as it's a trailhead town for hiking
the high Pyrenees. There was major resurfacing of the road up to Cauterets, the Tour de France arrives 15th July. The town is a major tourist and wintersports destination. I didn't like it at all.
The drive from Arzeles-Gozost to the Col du Portelet, and Spain was another gorgeous drive. I've so enjoyed the French Pyrenees.
Once into Spain it was ski resorts until Sallent de Gallego, where I was on my birthday last year. It was totally diferent, last year full of people because of a festival, and being mid-afternoon nothing was open now. The municipal campsite has a huge building being constructed on it. So much for memories !
I carried on toward The Ordessa Gorge. So different driving miles away from the GR11. The countryside was generally arid as the road went away from the mountains until nearing Torla. I stopped at the campsite where we'd sticked up before the Gorge last year.
A fabulous view of the start of the Gorge, whilst drinking a cold beer in a glass from a freezer. I like Spain.

No comments: