Monday 6 July 2015

3rd.July. La Malene, Gorges du Tarn

An early sprinkle of rain as I was driving towards Millau brought that wonderful smell that comes with rain after a dry spell.
Millau is set in the deep valley where the Gorges du Tarn and Gorges de la Jonte emerge. On the descent to Millau there's a viewpoint of the magnificent Millau bridge crossing high over the valley and over 2km long.
Yesterday there wasn't many campsites, but from Millau up the Gorges du Tarn there were plenty.  Campsite density is a good indicator of an area.
I stopped at La Malene for a break, and decided to hire a canoe. I chose the 20km option, assembled a picnic and set off down the beautiful river Tarn. It's a great way to see a gorge, what I was wanting in the Gorges du Verdon. There were lots of fish, trout and I think, barbel up to 15".
Does the word gorgeous come from gorges ? Gorgue is throat in French.
A fast and exciting few hours later, with some quite turbulent sections, I arrived at the exit/pickup point. The afternoon wind started to blow up stream as I was on the final smooth section and it was hard paddling. A throughly enjoyable experience. A refreshing swim and then the navette arrived to transport me and canoe back to la Malene.
I'd done too much driving the past few days, so the municipal campsite was good enough. It was fully booked by a group having a car rally, (yet they found soace for me.) Highly modified cars owned by amateurs I'd guess. It made for an interesting evening !

No comments: