Thursday 9 July 2015

6th July. Ailefroide

An early walk up the valley before the heat of the day, into the heart of the Ecrins Massif. Barre des Ecrins to the north of the valley is 13700'
I had the luck to see a pair of young black woodpeckers less than 30' away, and they flitted from tree to tree in front of me for a good while. I assumed they were young birds as normally they are so elusive.
As I gained height and vegetation became scarcer the going became rougher. I could see the Sele Refuge atop a massive rockwall blocking the way ahead.
I couldn't see the route up to the refuge, and the route became boulder strewn. At the base off the rockwall, I could see the path going across the lower part of the cliff, so followed it until a warning that it was cables to hold onto. I'm a walker not a climber, so It was at this point I returned the way I'd come.
Just as I turned around I met the 1st other walkers of the day. From here on down the valley I met plenty of people. Some Alpinist's, complete with ropes, ice-axes and crampons.
I was back at the tent, very hot 7hours after setting out, having walked over 13miles and getting up to 7400'

No comments: