Thursday 9 July 2015

8th July. nr. Chamonix

Reluctantly I decided that I didn't want to push it too much with my foot, so I packed and left the best campsite and setting so far.
The drive from Briancon to the Col du Lauteret had some great views of the Ecrins,
The road up to the Col du Galibier was scary at times in a rhd. car with very steep drops from the unprotected road edge. When another vehicle was coming the other way I was very close to the edge of the road. The road surface was lumpy and in poor condition.
The other side of the col the road was resurfaced, a sure sign that's the way Le Tour de France will come !
I followed the route de cols through the Parc de la Vanoise over the spectacularCol de L'Iseran dropping down to Val-d-Isere.
Soon after I could hear my front brakes, indicating that the disc pads need replacing. From here I stayed on main roads and used the gearbox for braking assistance as much as I could.
5pm. is the time I try to find a bar/cafe to see the finish of each days Tour de France. My version of a soap opera ?
I was gobsmacked  by my 1st glimpse of the Mont Blanc massive,it certainly is massive.
I stopped at the most expensive campsite so far, but I'm close to Chamonix and Switzerland.

No comments: