Monday 24 August 2015

21st August Monistrol-d'Allier

Day 2,  9 miles.  Total 18miles

It was a cold night, I checked the elevation, 3700'. I hadn't realised I climbed that much yesterday.
I set off uphill to the highest point of the day at 4200', then down gradually getting steeper to St Privat d'Allier, and a welcome break for coffee at a bar.
It was then up the other side of the gorge, then a steep descent once more to rejoin the river at Monistrol- d'Allier.
Allier is the river that flows through a gorge in this area.
I stopped at a hotel for another coffee, (to have a break and sit down rather than any need for coffee), the English guy that owned the place, suggested I relax by the river for the afternoon, and camp here as the ascent out of the gorge here wouldn't be pleasant in the afternoon heat. I checked my guide book, which confirmed this, 1500' of steep ascent. Better done early in the morning.
When I went to the campsite a few people from last night's gite turned upin drib's and drab's.
Not a long walk, but enough for one day.
During the afternoon and evening quite a few other walkers arrived.
Its lower than last night, so should be warmer !

No comments: