Saturday 4 April 2015

Day9 Ronda

Well, I've realised a few differences to my previous hiking in the past week.
1.  Hot weather and hard surfaces : Getting blisters when they've not been a problem for me before.
2.  Privately owned land: Owners don't want people entering their land & protect it  with 2m high fences & locked gates, making stealth camping spots hard to find outside of regional or national parks.
3.  Camino Reales, like Canada reales, are centuries-old pathways which were designated by royal decree. They are still very much in use by farmers to move their animals from area to area. Today they are also rural roads & their surfaces upgraded for vehicles.
I suspect that a large part of the GR's in Spain are routed along Canada Reales.
4.  Walking in the heat is no fun, but a shower or fresh water to clean-up in is highly desireable at the end of the days walking. Only once so far have I had fresh water where I've camped, besides the campsite at Jimena. Staying in hotels is a luxury that I will be able to afford only occaisionally. Campsites are few & often some distance from the Gr7.  Stinky !

No comments: