Wednesday 26 August 2015

24th August. Aumont-Aubrac

day 5  14miles  total 58.8

I walked for 10 minutes and realised I'd left my gaitors on the washing line, doh !
After a couple of miles I hot into St Auban sur Limagnol and met my smily young french mates. (They carry huge backpacks, but like a joint or 3, thus the smiles).
We passed and repassed each other several times during the morning.
I'm now walking on the Aubrac Plateau, lots of snow during winter. The wind is cold, it feels like England today. There's lots of small stones washed up in places after yesterdays rains. It was a morning of showers, on and off with waterproofs. lots of forest with some dairy fields.
I stopped to brew a coffee at an basic pilgrims shelter, which though thatched with broom was dry inside.
The end of my walk for the day was in Aumont Aubrac. I had a Plat du Jour, sausage and Aligot. Aligot is a mash potato and cheese mix, around 30% cheese. Very filling and an hour after it I had to get to a toilet fast to let it go  !!!  Not the food to eat after a mornings walking perhaps.
The campsite was 2k out of the village and in the wrong direction from my route, so I booked into a gite for the night.
  I keep remeeting lots of people and meeting new one's. Quite a few people said they'd ended up soaked to their skin yesterday, I'm so happy to have my umbrella.
  Had a beer with a Spanish guy who I'm sharing a room with. The price of beer in France is certainly keeping my consumption down. It's only 450miles to Spain.

No comments: